Monday, October 24, 2005

Sticker Hide and Seek

It was a day of many minor adventurous challenges, I said 'Hi' to lots of people on the way in to work, mixing it up with lots of 'Good Morning's too. I hope this is allowed? 'Good Morning' somehow seemed less confrontational, and a few people said Good Morning back! Even when people 'looked at me funny' it still felt good to try to smile and be friendly at 7am on a rainy Monday morning.

In my lunch hour I hid lots of 'make your own sticker' kits on the second floor of Borders bookshop. If you want one you have to go and play sticker hide and seek amongst the books! Each envelope contains, a blank sticker, a pen (assorted colours), an IWAA sticker (I hope this will be stuck somewhere also) and instructions to 'draw or write something on the sticker and then put it on a poster'.

I was hurriedly filling all the envelopes as I munched on my sandwich, cutting up the instructions with a little pair of scissors in the cafe. It might all look a bit amateurish, but I don't think this matters too much. I just hope that someone will find one of these little packs of goodies and think 'Hmm... what should I draw? And where should I stick it?' I'm not sure that it's genuinely an adventure, but I hope that it is fun; if so that's no bad thing.

I printed out the instructions for this this morning in the office. I was waiting for them to turn up on the printer, praying that no one else would use the printer at that time and see. When the printout didn't materialize I suddenly realised what I'd done - by accident set them to print on the marketing department printer! Panicking I had to rush to that department hoping my marketing colleagues wouldn't find out that I was encouraging people to create homemade stickers in the name of adventure! Sometimes their job involves tube poster ads, and they might have been cross that I was getting people to deface tube posters. I don't know what I'd have done if they'd found them, I would have been so embarrassed! But I got away with it.

Another challenge today was the chocolate bar mission. I know I said I'd do that last night. I did buy a bar of chocolate from our local shop last night, and I was ready to put a 'Just for who wants it' bit of paper on it, only the street was quiet and I wanted to see someone find the chocolate. So I just ate it. Sorry.

Today I bought another bar, it was Galaxy, and I left this on the train on the way home. No one picked it up before I got off at Tooting Bec, but I hope someone will find it and enjoy it. Someone 'who wants it', as my note said.

To round off this day of many challenges I smiled on the tube all the way from Tooting Bec to Tottenham Court road, and all the way from Oxford Circus to Tooting Bec on my way home. It wasn't really an attempt to repeat my smiling challenge, I was just in a very good mood. I'd tell you more but it's secret. I think before I started IWAA if I was in a good mood wouldn't show it, people usually hide how they feel especially on tube train journeys. But my smiling challenge the other day made me think, 'why not?' Why not just smile if you're happy? And I smiled my genuine smile on the tube today and a few people did catch my eye and smile back. It was a good feeling, and it was a good day. I hope yours was too. And if it was, why not show it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home